Revised plans for village Tap Room
Revised plans for the historic Tap Room next to the Rose & Crown have been submitted to Peterborough City Council.
Planning permission was granted in 2012 to convert the Tap Room and the old stables at the Rose & Crown into houses and also to build 11 dwellings on land to the rear of the pub.
Now, developers have submitted revised plans for the Tap Room and stable block. They want to convert the Tap Room into a four-bedroom house (previous plans were for a two-bedroom property) and also create a three-bedroom property at the old stables (previously a two-bedroom home).
There is no change to the application for 11 homes at the rear of the pub.
Plans also show 17 car parking spaces, including two disabled spaces, at the front of the Rose & Crown.
The Tap Room, which has stood unoccupied for many years, was built in 1850 as part of the 7th Duke of Bedford’s model village. It is part of the Thorney Conservation Area.
The stables at the rear of the pub were built in 1899 at the same time as the main building, some 50 years after the Tap Room.
While the Tap Room served as a simple alehouse, the new Rose & Crown had higher aims. It was built by the People’s Refreshment House Association, a Victorian body dedicated to promoting greater sobriety. Its pubs still sold alcohol, but their managers were supposed to prevent excessive drinking and also to promote non-alcoholic beverages.
The Rose & Crown was among the first seven pubs built by the Association and their aims are clear from this passage, part of a statement issued at the turn of the 19th century appealing for investors to put money into the movement:
“The more we can get our peasantry to find pleasure in reading, the better. But, after all, there will still remain a perfectly natural and reasonable desire for free and easy chat with one’s neighbours in a warm, well-lighted room, over whatever beverage is to one’s taste. The People’s Refreshment House Association, so far as their resources go, secure that the best conditions of the good old- fashioned, well-conducted village inn shall be reproduced with, as we have shown, as near an approach as possible to security against temptation to excess.”
In 1962, all the pubs owned by the Association were acquired by Bass Charrington.
You can see all planning applications and decisions relating to the village at: http://thorneypost.com/planning/