Firefighters called to bonfire
Thorney’s firefighters were called out just before midnight on Thursday to attend a bonfire behind houses on Wisbech Road.
On arrival, firefighters found a large bonfire unattended and extinguished it using a hose reel. They returned to their station by 12.40am.
A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said:
If having a bonfire:
- Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire, and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture, or batteries
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire
- Check the weather – avoid lighting bonfires in high winds.