Monthly Archives: July 2018

Mencap to gain from Snowdon climb

AJ8H53 Mount Snowdon Range North Wales

Nicky Skeels from Thorney plans to climb Snowdon on September 22 to help raise money and awareness for Mencap.

Nicky has two family members with learning disabilities and says she is very much aware of how important the support Mencap provides is. She also has unfinished business: “I attempted Snowdon a while back and only managed to get three-quarters of the way up. I will certainly do it this time.”

Nicky has set up a Just Giving page so people can donate if they wish: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Nicky-Skeels?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_default—fundraiser-page-donation-received—nth-donation&utm_content=ff710101-75f1-4b12-b347-491890a2ee45&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1532290437960

Walking Great Wall of China to help disabled boy

Brody

A Thorney man is planning to walk part of the Great Wall of China in October to raise money to help a young boy with a rare genetic disorder.

Barry Long (65) who lives in Chestnut Drive has joined the Great Wall – Open Challenge, an organised trek along a 50km section of the wall.

He wants to raise £1,500 to help Brody Kelly, whose grandparents – Tony and Carole Kelly – also live on Chestnut Drive, just a few doors down from Barry.

“Brody was diagnosed at birth with a very rare genetic condition called MECP2 Duplication Syndrome,” said Barry. “It prevents him from walking, talking and he is fed from a feeding tube. On top of this he suffers from respiratory infections, which are common with this condition, as well as daily seizures.

“This could prove fatal for him at any time. I want to raise £1,500 to give Brody and his mother a seaside break in a caravan in the UK as well as purchase a specially adapted chair that fits him and keeps him safe and secure.”

Barry has never been to China but walking on the Great Wall was on his “bucket list” and he’ll be doing the walk with his daughter-in-law.

Nor is he an experienced walker. “I walk the dogs every day, but that’s about it,” he said. “I am reasonably fit and I’m training for the walk, so I’m confident I’ll be able to do it.

“I wanted to use the challenge to help a child and I found out about Brody and his problems at the Ex-Servicemen’s Club. I was telling people what I planned to do, and they mentioned Brody as his grandad is a regular at the club.

“Although we live only a few doors away, I didn’t know them until that point.“

Barry and his wife Sally have lived in Thorney for 18 months, moving here from King’s Lynn where they ran a boarding kennels. Now retired, Barry has previously lived in London and worked for British Gas.

He has created a Go Fund Me page so that people can donate money to the cause online, and this can be found at: www.gofundme.com/barry039s-great-wall-of-china-walk. He also has sponsorship forms in different places around the village, including the Ex-Servicemen’s Club and Paula’s Hair Design. The walk starts on October 18.

Roads closed for race

national-runners-day

The main road through the village is to be closed on Sunday, August 19, for the annual Thorney Road Race.

The road will be closed from 10.30am to 11.30am from the Rose & Crown to Old Knarr Fen Road.

Old Knarr Fen Road will also be totally closed during the same period. Station Road will be closed between the Bedford Hall and the traffic lights for five minutes from 10.30am and will be reduced to single carriageway for the rest of the hour.

Thorney Running Club, organisers of the race said they were sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanked people for their patience.

Police warning after “distraction burglary”

neighbourhood-watch-logo

A so-called distraction burglary took place in Ash Close yesterday at 11.45am.

Two men knocked on the door to offer some gardening work and the elderly resident was distracted by one of the males while the other entered the house and stole an amount of money.

The two men left quickly in a Peugeot 206 car van and the vehicle was later located by officers several miles away. Police say forensic work is still ongoing.
The men were described by a witness as being ‘middle aged’ and possibly wearing checked shirts.  The van was seen leaving the street at speed at 11.56am.
Cambridgeshire Police say: “Please warn older neighbours, family members and friends NOT to buy any services on the doorstep.  The best advice is not to open your door to anyone you are not expecting or do not know.  If in doubt, keep them out.  It’s also a good idea to keep your front and back doors locked even whilst you are at home.”
Anyone with any information regarding the burglary in Ash Close should call 101 quoting crime reference 35/17494/18.

If the lightning strikes …

Storm 1

Message from Julie Seal, Community Affairs Officer – East of England for UK Power Networks:

You may have seen the forecast of unsettled weather over the next few days with heavy rain and lightning affecting parts of the East and South East of England.

We are currently monitoring the weather closely and we are in regular contact with the Met Office as the forecast develops.

Our electricity network is built to be resilient but extreme weather can affect overhead and underground power lines, resulting in some customers losing their electricity supply. Where this happens we work to restore power as quickly and safely as possible. We have organised for additional staff in our contact centre to help customers whose electricity supply might be affected by the predicted weather, and we have called-up additional engineers to carry out repairs to our electricity network.

You will be able to find regular updates on our website www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk and social media @UKPowerNetworks throughout this period.

Anyone experiencing a power cut should:

  • Call 105 to report power cuts and damage to the electricity network, or 0800 3163 105 (from a corded phone or mobile phone if you have no power)
  • Visit ukpowernetworks.co.ukfor the latest updates
  • Visit ukpowernetworks.co.uk/powercutand type in their postcode to view our live power cut map
  • Tweet @ukpowernetworks to report a power cuts or to receive updates

We urge the public to stay well clear from power lines and anyone spotting a damaged power line needs to report it to us immediately by calling 105 from a landline or mobile phone.

If they see electricity lines that are down or causing significant risk to the public they should call 999.

We provide extra help to customers on our Priority Service Register during a power cut. Households with older or disabled people, those with children under five, or where someone uses medical or mobility equipment that requires electricity as well as other reasons can join the register. You can find out more information about our Priority Service on our website:ukpowernetworks.co.uk/priority.

Do you, or someone you know, need extra support during a power cut? @UKPowerNetworks provides free services to vulnerable customers. Visit https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/priority-services-register for more information.

City centre road closures overnight

The final stage of work to revamp Bourges Boulevard in Peterborough city centre will get under way next week and see overnight road closures take place.

Work to create a new road junction and new access to the Network Rail car park close to Peterborough railway station, started back in February and is on schedule to be completed in early August.

The final stage of work will see the carriageway resurfaced over the next couple of weeks, starting with the southbound and then the northbound stretch of road. The carriageways will be closed to traffic, rather than the single lane restriction that is currently in place, details below:

Monday July 23 to Friday July 27 – Each night next week the southbound carriageway (from the Crescent Bridge roundabout to Wentworth Street) will be closed from 10pm until 6am. During this time escorted access into Priestgate through the road closure will still be available for local residents and customers of the Park Inn Hotel. Exit from Priestgate will still be possible via the usual route along Cross Street and Cowgate and will be signposted.

Monday July 30 to Friday August 3 – Each night the northbound carriageway (from Crescent Bridge roundabout to just before the Bridge Street pedestrian crossing) will be closed from 11pm until 6am.
The work is being carried out overnight to avoid inconvenience, however some disruption is expected, so motorists are advised to plan journeys accordingly and check for travel updates where possible.

The project has seen ramped access to the Network Rail car park created, as well as a right turn lane and a pedestrian crossing. The car park has also been enhanced, with new parking spaces created, along with a footpath and verge.